Wednesday, November 5, 2014

In Real Life by Cory Doctorow

In Real LifeIn Real Life by Cory Doctorow
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I actually intended to post this review a looooooong time ago because I loved it so much and basically read it all in one sitting! That's huge for me because I rarely do that lol.

But time got away from me and I started the review but never finished writing it out, so now I'm rectifying that. I was actually reminded by the goodreads vote for best graphic novel of the year, and when I didn't see "In Real Life" there I wrote it in as my vote! Hope yall will consider doing the same:)

As for my thoughts on the book:
I first picked it based entirely on the cover alone. It's a beautifully done dichotomy of a girl. One side shows her "IRL" and the other is her gamer self, her avatar. I didn't know that when I first saw the cover, I was just attracted to the artwork and the interesting look of both girls in juxtaposition to one another. But I'm not a gamer, not even a little bit, so I'm sure other readers will have a better clue what the cover is showing.

It's the best feeling in the world when I go into a book cold, not knowing a thing about it and the story turns into something so enjoyable. Happily, that's my experience with In Real Life. It's actually a very quick read and the story flows easily through the dialogue text and illustrations. Never was I lost or confused, even though I went into it not knowing anything about the premise or even about gaming. So if I'm using any of the terminology incorrectly I apologize. Cory has an introduction that explains the concept though, and in it he explains how In Real Life is about games and economics, globalization and technology, and how it affects us all.

Thank You to First Second for the review copy via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment