Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Secret (Elemental #4) by Brigid Kemmerer

Secret (Elemental, #4)Secret by Brigid Kemmerer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Secret released yesterday!!

I can not even begin to explain how much I loved this one. I mean, I've loved the series from the beginning but Secret has me even more excited and happy than I know how to express.

First, it's Nick's book which is great because I love the twins. I thought Gabriel's book was going to be my fave but Nick and his unassuming good nature have swayed me lol!

Second, I've read gay characters in YA before but I've always felt they were either done too "safe" or too stereotypical instead of real. I wasn't sure how it was gonna go with this series but based on the stellar writing and dialogues of characters so far I knew it would at least be ok. Well, it turns out it's even better than good!

And last but not least, I enjoyed seeing the friendship between Nick and Quinn. I was surprised to see my opinion of her change once I got to see the real her, and once I got to understand where she's coming from.

Overall I appreciated the realistic nature of the characters' reactions, including Nick's. It's refreshing to finally see an LGBTQ character in a YA book that is written as evenly and thoughtful as the straight characters. After all, it is a paranormal YA book too, so Nick's issues weren't solely focused on his sexuality. Like most people in the real world that was just one facet of who he is.

Thank You to Kensington Books for the review copy via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment