Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Otter, the Spotted Frog & the Great Flood: A Creek Indian Story retold by Gerald Hausman

The Otter, the Spotted Frog & the Great Flood: A Creek Indian StoryThe Otter, the Spotted Frog & the Great Flood: A Creek Indian Story by Gerald Hausman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

November is "Native American Heritage Month" so I decided to read this beautifully illustrated picture book of a Creek Indian story. There are tons of different creation stories. They vary nation by nation, tribe to tribe, and this is one of them.
Being Native myself, I've always loved the story-telling and oral histories of indigenous peoples. I hadn't heard this particular telling before but loved the way it has "animal people" and wonderful illustrations of them to capture the spirit of the tale. I also found it amusing that (in this telling) the First Peoples came from river otters! lol It is common for animals to feature prominently in Native stories and books like this one are important for preserving them.

This book was a review copy from the Wisdom Tales Press via NetGalley.





No comments:

Post a Comment