Wednesday, October 5, 2011

To Steve:


The first personal computer I ever touched was a Mac. I used to love playing Oregon Trail, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, and Kid Pix on it. When I got to college I bought myself a Mac of my very own, one that I had coveted and saved up for over a year. It was a Mac G4 and I still have it because when everyone else seemed to continually need to replace their PCs after just a couple years to keep up with technology my trusty G4 updated on it's own and didn't need an OS update till after 7 years! My only other computer purchase is this Macbook Pro that I'm now typing on. 


Steve Jobs was one of the most innovative visionaries of our time. He made Apple, Pixar, and the iPhone/iPod possible, and completely changed the way we interact in the world. His contributions to computers and technology have been and no doubt continue to be a major influence. In his commencement address to a graduating class at Stanford University he said, "Your time is limited..don’t waste it living someone else’s life" and "death is life's change agent..."


It's true. Death and the circle of life are the strongest and most constant agents of change that we all face. Life is short but if we find our passion, follow our hearts, and keep true to ourselves we can have an impact on the world.
Rest in Peace Steve Jobs. What a difference you made.



3 comments:

  1. I watched the Stanford commencement speech shortly after he died and it took me back to when the Mac first became big, and how in awe we were of desktop publishing. We've come a long way since then, but it's a lovely story how one man's interest in calligraphy can morph into a corporation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Susan- the part about the calligraphy class really stuck w/me too. It made me think of how the arts are just as important and inspiring as classes in the core math, sciences, etc

    ReplyDelete