Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


We're smack in the middle of Banned Books Week Sept 24 - Oct 1 2011, and I'm thrilled that one of my all-time favorite YA novels (which often gets challenged for sexuality and profane language) is being made into a film.






Title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author(s): Stephen Chbosky

Reading Level/Genre: Young Adult
Paperback:213 pages
ISBN: 9780671027346
Publisher: MTV Books (February 1, 1999)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is probably one of the few books I read that was actually in the YA genre when I was a teen. It's in the format of letters written to a friend from the main character Charlie. As he deals with high school & life in general, he touches you to the bone with his descriptions and explanations of his innermost thoughts and feelings. There are perks to being a wallflower, as Charlie most certainly is, but participation has its infinite possibilities too. I loved it even though its intimacy made me freak out a little, withdrawal, and fear. I "feel infinite" when i think about it:) What "banned books" have made an impact on you?

1 comment:

  1. I really liked "Lady Chatterly's Lover". It gave a genuinely beautiful perspective into a love affair. A great read!

    ReplyDelete