Saturday, February 5, 2011

New Kindle + Whispernet = BookCrazy :)

This week I have bought more books than I ever have without having a birthday or Christmas giftcard. I had a hell of a time reining myself back in. I'll share what I purchased in a bit but first let me explain where it all started... 


So after pining away for 3 years I finally got a most coveted thing, my new Kindle 3. It's the graphite wi-fi one because I doubt the 3G would actually work for me in any place I know wi-fi isn't available, like the deep woods. And honestly I like the graphite color better than white so that was cool. 

I would have gotten the Nook but several things happened:


1) I had a Target giftcard and Target sells the Kindle. I knew whatever eReader I chose, I wanted to buy it at a brick and mortar store because their merchandise generally travels in trucks rather than shipped through Fedex or UPS.  I know from several close friends that work for either those places or USPS that packages go through a ton of abuse just by the nature of process. 


At Target I would get the Kindle for $99 since I had a giftcard to pay the difference, which is a price that just sat better with me than anything over $100 ever did. Plus I would be able to look at the box and notice if I heard any rattles, AND I could return the item in person, problem free, if there happened to be issues.


2)I already had the Kindle app on my laptop and it worked for me seamlessly, unlike the B&N one. When I connected my account to the Kindle it was easy-peasy and quick as a bunny in putting all the freebie eBooks I'd been collecting right on the device. I'm a bit bummed that I can't borrow from the library too, but at this point physical books are still easier to acquire and check out from the system than the eBooks on Overdrive. That's because of funding and a still stronger demand for physical books so far; the public library system usually only buys one copy of an ebook per title. Each copy is like a physical book and you have to wait for it to be "returned". That my friends makes for a long waitlist I'm not willing to deal with. 


3) Since I tend to buy most all of my books I decided not having compatibility with Overdrive right now wasn't something I couldn't handle. Amazon usually has the best prices on books, a great selection, and bundles on series. I hate the idea of being restricted to Amazon but can upload PDFs and I think it's called ePubs(?) fine so that's been good. 


Here's some of what I bought to christian my new baby:
Beyond the Night and by Joss Ware It's only $1.99 right now(book 1 in series)
Beyond the Night
Embrace the Night Eternal by Joss Ware, also on special for $3.99 (book 2)
Embrace the Night Eternal
All Night with a Rogue by Alexandra Hawkins just $2.99 right now (book 1 in series)
All Night with a Rogue: Lords of Vice
Lords of Underworld by Gena Showalter Kindle Bundle for $9.99
Lords of the Underworld Bundle
My Wicked Enemy by Carolyn Jewel $1.99! (book 1 in series)
My Wicked Enemy
But that didn't stop me from buying regular books either; I still purchased A Werewolf in Manhattan in paperback because I love the cover and the shipping was free from B&N. I also picked up some others but I can't recall which ones at the moment....
I'm tellin' ya, I went hog crazy buying books this week and still recovering :P

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that Kindle can do ePubs, but MOBI. However, congrats and hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melissa--I'm sure ur right, I couldn't recall which was which lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my Kindle!!

    as for any other format than MOBI, I recommend you download "Calibre"... it convert ebook formats to foit in the Kindle =D

    Great choice in Kindle Book buying! Enjoy hon! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Larissa, will look into Calibre immediately:)
    I'm becoming quite obsessed and have taken to carrying it with me everywhere just in case of downtime lol

    ReplyDelete