Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011 Reading Challenges & Resolutions

Well, 2011 is almost a week old and I've had time to mull over my hopes and dreams for the year. When it comes to blogging, there are many things I'd like to accomplish but I've decided to keep it simple so that I do go overboard. So here are what I've decided on:
  • Get better Organized! 
  • Keep up with Email and trash old messages to avoid confusion
  • Buy eReader so I can read eBooks faster and without eye exhaustion
  • Participate in a Reading Challenge from genre I've never read before 
And that brings me to the Challenges. As mentioned, I looked for something to read outside of anything I've read before and it turns out that would be... 
*drum roll*

Christian Fiction!

It's a genre that I didn't even know existed until fairly recently. It's being hosted by Jamie @ The Book Junkie's Book Shelf. The Challenge is to read at least 12 Christian Fiction books between January2011 and the end of the year in December 2011. I already picked one book called Head in the Clouds based solely on the adorable cover and title.

  


The next challenge is inspired by all the great new books I've heard about for 2011. It's the 2011 Debut Author Challenge hosted by The Story Siren

You can read the rules for participate on her site but basically it's read 12 YA/MG books between now and the end of the year by new/debuting authors of 2011. Though a couple may change depending on my reading mood as I go along, my tentative list includes:
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth
  • Wither by Lauren DeStefano*
  • Across the Universe by Beth Revis*
  • Unearthly by Cynthis Hand
  • The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney 
  • Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
  • Vesper by Jeff Sampson
  • The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver*
  • Warped by Maurissa Guibord
  • Bestest. Ramadan. Ever. by Medeia Sherif


 This last challenge is meant to get around to reading some books I've wanted to get to but haven't yet, as luckily many of them have been offered free on Amazon or BN.com for the nook. The Show Me the Free Reading Challenge is being hosted by The Unread Reader and it's a great idea! So check it out if you're in the same boat and want to give yourself a nudge to read all those Kindle freebies you keep downloading ;)
 I may add a couple more later but for now these 3 are plenty. And if you have any suggestions or books that fit these challenges that you feel are definite *must-reads* then feel free to let me know in the comments and I'll look for them:)

2 comments:

  1. Bella!

    Yay! Those are some great goals! Thanks for joining the Show Me the Free Challenge. I think it will be fun. If you haven't yet, you can also add this link to your sign up post here:
    http://www.theunreadreader.com/2010/12/2011-show-me-free-challenge-sign-up-and.html

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Missie, I totally missed that linky but signed up now. It's gonna be lots of fun seeing what free-reads everyone else has, and what has been available. Great challenge :)

    ReplyDelete