Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!!!


...and here's to a better year in 2011 than we had in 2010, because Lord knows my 2010 was awwwwwful!


I'm hoping that things will settle down for me this year and allow me more time to center and de-stress. I'm still grieving the loss of the friends &family who passed away, but I'm slowly coming to terms with it all. I can't believe how upside-down my life went this year *shakes head*
But I made it through and somehow I still have a hopeful soul and can't help but look forward to the possibility of happiness in 2011. 


It has also officially been 1 year since I started this blog. Now that is crazy! Time sure did fly by me, I'll tell you what. Little did I know when I named my blog that it would come to mean so much to my personal life. Books and reading other bloggers posts really were my little piece of solace when I took time for myself. Granted I didn't accomplish all the things I wanted to, and distractions kept me from really spending as much time as I wanted to here, but I'm aiming to improve in 2011. I didn't get to read as much as I would have liked, but here are the books that were my top 10 this past year. So here they are in no particular order:


 My Top 10 Books of 2010

I stumbled upon this book quite by happy accident because I don't usually read Juvenile Fic too much any more, unless it's a quick and prettily illustrated picture book to pass the time on break at work. But I swept through this one in one night! Its protagonist is a 10 year old girl with Asperger's dealing with the death of her older brother, but overall it's about fitting in, working through grief, and learning to adapt when life keeps throwing you curveballs. 

Hands-down the funniest f*cking thing I read all year! At one point I was so sad I was crying almost nonstop; so I picked this up in desperation to distract myself and started reading and couldn't help laughing out loud, even as tears were pouring down my face!lol This book will always hold a special place in my heart for that.

This is my favorite of the bunch because it surprised me in the best of ways and that doesn't happen to me too much any more. It's the most beautiful of love stories, poignant and deep. Note of warning though, it's general fiction and does have bittersweet ending, not at all HEA.


Awesome middle grade graphic novel! And there aren't many for that age group, especially for girls but Smile is really fun so I had to mention it. It's about a girl, braces, and her life in them as I'm sure you've detected. 

People seemed to either hate it or love it, but I myself really felt like Mockingjay was true to the author's story. So many YA books seem to think that a completely nice and neat HEA is the only way to do it, and I'm glad Suzanne Collins didn't do that with this trilogy. It's just a nice change of pace to get that diversity. Of course, I had my hopes on things happening differently but life isn't like that. I for one loved every bit of the Hunger Games trilogy, including this one.

Lauren Oliver is definitely an author to watch; the characters in this book had so many intriguing traits and realistic voices that I felt like I knew them. A sort of Mean girls meets Groundhog Day, it comes together in a unique way and has me excited to read anything else Lauren writes:) Her upcoming book Delirium is my next read.
Oh do I LOVE this series. Mercy Thompson and all her friends make me wish I was a part of that world,lol. This is a definite *Must Read* series.


Ok, this one is a cheat because it was published in 2009 but I read it this year and LOVED it so I had to include it. Best contemporary romance I've read so far!

I love this woman's books!lol Nalini Singh writes a steamy scene and hot hero like nobody else can, and honestly I probably shoulda put Archangel's Kiss up here too:)

Wow, I can't believe I didn't write a single review for this book, not to mention any of the whole dang series! It's seriously one of my favorites and with the cliffhanger that Richelle Mead left us with on book #4, I almost had a coronary LOL! 

So that's what stuck out for me in 2010, how bout you? Anything from 2010 you wish everybody'd read? I know some these on my list still dont have a review posted but I'll be doing so soon. Happy New Year :)

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I hope this year proves to be better for you as well! And Congrats on your first year blogging! It's quite an accomplishment!

    As far as books go, one book that surprised me and I really enjoyed was Sh*t My Dad Says! I didn't know what to expect, and laughed so hard it made me cry! Nice to see it relieved some of your stress too!

    A great post to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year & thank u, Suzanne!
    And I'm so glad you loved Sh*t My Dad Says too, it was just one of those right books at the right time for me and it's also become one of those I push on guys/men who think they hate reading (like my friend's hubby,lol) and then end up with new readers, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete