Friday, September 24, 2010

Review: Impossible by Nancy Werlin

 
Reading level/Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal

Hardcover: 384 pages

Publisher: Dial (September 18, 2008)

ISBN-13:  978-0803730021

(product details via amazon.com)
Are you going to Scarborough Faire?
I read this book back in May 2009 but it has stuck with me. Though initially this book started out slow, it picked up in the middle and turned out to have beautiful things to say about family, love, and friendship. It also has some magic and folklore mixed in, based off the old poem or song called "Scarborough Fair," which is an old song that I'd heard but honestly hadn't ever really paid attention to the lyrics. Werlin did a great job of stringing the eerie ballad into the plot.

I love stories that portray so-called non-traditional families and show how love and not necessarily blood is what makes a family. The protagonist Lucy Scarborough is a child of two loving parents, even if they are not her biological parents, and when she is faced with impossible situations like rape, teenage pregnancy, and mental illness, her family supports her through it all by never giving up on her. It was nice to see a family fight together to save Lucy from a curse that they didn't have to believe was real and easily could have dismissed. It made Lucy's voice seem important and her thoughts and wishes as valued as those of adults or mom & dad.

There is also a very sweet love story between Lucy and her best friend Zach. I won't expand on it because I don't want to give anything away, but I loved their story; especially at the end when Lucy needs him most and Zach is able to lend strength to her. It's a lovely book, though I'm not sure younger or less mature teens will be able to connect with it easily. But I personally love it.
 
Here's a favorite tidbit from the book:

p287- "He had read somewhere that, while men were generally stronger than women, women had an innate ability to endure more."

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. I thought it was good too. Now I want to read her new one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm glad you liked Impossible. I've always wanted to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea- me too! especially since I hear it's about faeries, I think.

    @Precious- it's a great book :)

    ReplyDelete