Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Review: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


Reading level/Genre: Adult Nonfiction/ Memoir

Hardcover: 352 pages

Publisher: Viking (February 16, 2006) 

ISBN-13:  978-0670034710

(product details via amazon.com)  

Isn’t it funny how some of the people we connect with are people we feel close to out of shared experiences, but the way we’ve met is through a book? Someone has written down words for us to read, left us a message.... we read those words, we’ve gotten the message, and so we’ve connected. That’s what it felt like while reading this book.  It was like listening to a friend tell you about her harrowing journey through a breakup, insecurity, and a bout of depression and you listen intently because 1)it’s interesting and 2) because you want to see if her story holds any marbles of wisdom that can be translated into your own life; maybe learn something you can relate to.

Eat Pray Love is a memoir of one woman’s journey to find herself in this world and to seek the true meaning of divinity. I don’t know about you, but I can truly relate to that. The book is all about her worst days in a hard time in her life and how she worked to get through it all. For Liz, spirituality was her answer.
Spirituality is often confused with religion but the two are not one and the same. It can exist in and of itself, completely independent of religion and dogmas. You need only to want to be a seeker of truth to be spiritual. And so that's what Liz seeks and talks about in Eat Pray Love: finding the truth of herself, reflecting on her life and choices, and then putting it all together and trying to make sense of it enough to move forward. I know that this makes the book sound heavy handed and religious but it really isn't. Instead it's a personal record of one year in one woman's life while she travels to Italy to let herself once again know pleasure, to India in order to know prayer, and then to Bali to balance it all out. 
I definitely see why this book is great for a book club pick; it has so many facets for discussion and interesting tidbits to reflect on with others. Definitely looking forward to reading Liz Gilbert's next book, Committed.

9 comments:

  1. The library had one book by her but not this famous one, and I do think I'd like to read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading Committed and in the Note to Reader she talks about how different her writing was in those 3 books she wrote prior to Eat Pray Love! Because those are very male-centric in topic and (she says) even her writing; it's really interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review! The cover is actually pretty cute. I've seen this around, but I haven't been all that intrigued. Glad you enjoyed it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to avoid this book because of all the hype surrounding it. I did buy a copy for my aunt, though, for Christmas - I'll have to check in with her to see what she thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! In reply to what you asked on my blog about Kristan Higgins...if you haven't read anything by her, I definitely recommend picking up Just One of the Guys, or maybe her newest, All I Ever Wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming over from The Sunday Blues! I really enjoyed Eat Pray Love! I felt like I read the book at a time when I really needed to. I love when books find me when I need them. This was definitely one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite liked this book too! I mean, I could never afford to just take a year off to find myself, but she does make interesting points in the book. Also, OMG how great did all of that food sound? If I could spend 3 months eating without guilt, that would rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying not to read this one because I think I'll be bitter if I do. I mean how lucky to be able to just go off and find yourself. And yet I know I'll be reading it at some point. Just because.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this one yet, but I know that it's really taking off because of the movie and because it is also supposed to be a great book club book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete