Saturday, August 21, 2010

•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ wishlist

On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where you list all the books you desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It's also an event that you can join in with too - Mr Linky is always at the ready for you to link your own 'On My Wishlist' post. If you want to know more click here!



 So far my most favorite book/series is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and so I can not even begin to explain how geeked out I've been over the upcoming release of Mockingjay. And this jacket is exactly the kind of thing I'd to wear all winter!! So far it's not for sale though, and is a prize for one of the contests by Scholastic. 


Reading level/Genre: Historical Romance

Hardcover: 320 pages

Publisher: Leisure Books (April 28, 2009)

ISBN-13:  978-0843960433

(product details via amazon.com) 


 What would a person with Asperger's Syndrome be called in the Victorian era? Eccentric? Mad? Would they be locked away? These are the questions author Jennifer Ashley discussed earlier this week over at Borders True Romance Blog. A truly different and fascinating idea! It's a great description Jennifer gives, so you should definitely read it. Here's an excerpt:

"When I conceived the series, I wanted to write about the most dark and dangerous men I could think of—rich, powerful, and decadent, they love the best in art, women, whiskey, horses, you name it. They go anywhere they want, and do anything they want. They break all the rules, and no one stops them.
Each brother is a bit obsessed with what interests them, and that obsession manifests itself fully in Ian. I was thinking about autism and started to wonder how even a mildly autistic person, perhaps someone with Asperger’s, had fared before anyone had put a name or diagnosis to the syndrome. In the Victorian age, such a person would be considered eccentric, different, mad, maybe even dangerous.
I had to do much research both on Asperger’s Syndrome and how the “mad” were treated in the Victorian age. In Ian’s case, his father gets him locked away in an asylum when he’s ten, both because Ian doesn’t fit into his father’s controlled world, plus Ian knows secrets that his blunt speeches might reveal.
Ian’s brothers, especially the two middle brothers, Mac and Cameron, could do nothing to get him out of the asylum, but they tried to make his time there bearable. The paid him visits and smuggled him cigars, whiskey, and erotic books, trying to make certain that their little brother would grow into a well-rounded man. The day that Ian’s father dies, Hart, the oldest brother, goes to the asylum to bring Ian home...."



9 comments:

  1. I haven't read Jennifer Ashley before, but I'm putting her on my TBR list! Here's mine: http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-my-wishlist-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on Mocking Jay! I actually have The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie on my shelf need to get to it soon! Here's mine: http://triciareads.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-my-wishlist-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Jennifer Ashley either. I'll have to look into her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I like that jacket, haven't read anything in that series but still, I like that jacket.

    Here's my list. :)

    http://j-rabbits-corner.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-my-wishlist_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool jacket. I hope that you get your book and that it is everything you hope it to be. Here is what is On My Wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book looks interesting. Love the jacket too! Nice wishlist. I also hope you get to read Firelight too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I shall look out for this one by Ms Ashley.

    Here's what's on my wishlist this week.

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks all! I've been under a rock and thus offline completely as I read and ruminated on Mockingjay, book 3 of the Hunger Games trilogy which just officially released Tuesday(or midnight before in some cities)and am just now coming back up for air,lol
    but damn, that book/series is gooood!

    ReplyDelete