Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Review: Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern



Published: It Books (May 4, 2010)
 
ISBN:
9780061992704 

176 pages, Hardcover
 
Humor; Biography/Memoir













This is the funniest book I have ever read! I laughed at almost every other paragraph, or at least that’s how it felt.  A couple years ago Justin Halpern started a twitter account called @shitmydadsays and almost instantly it had a million folks following, me included. Justin’s brief statement on the site said simply:
 Bio: I'm 29. I live with my 74-year-old dad. He is awesome. I just write down shit that he says. 
The book is made up of anecdotes about he and his dad, and the background to why he dispensed these gems of wisdom.
A few of my favorite tweets: 
"My flight lands at 9:30 on Sunday...You want to watch what? What the fuck is mad men? I'm a mad man if you don't pick me the hell up." 4:42 PM Aug 15th, 2009 via web
 
"Your brother brought his baby over this morning. He told me it could stand. It couldn't stand for shit. Just sat there. Big let down." 11:35 AM Aug 20th, 2009 via web
 
"Just pay the parking ticket. Don't be so outraged. You're not a freedom fighter in the civil rights movement. You double parked." 2:59 PM Oct 18th, 2009 via web
 
"How the fuck should I know if it's still good? Eat it. You get sick, it wasn't good. You people, you think I got microscopic fucking eyes." 3:55 PM Aug 25th, 2009 via web
 
"Why the fuck would I want to live to 100? I'm 73 and shit's starting to get boring. By the way, there's no money left when I go, just fyi." Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:58:31 PM via web
"My dad is an avid reader, and all throughout my childhood he’d come home after working for 12 hours and we’d sit on the couch and read together."
  So if you need a good laugh, get this book. It’s  a masterpiece of funny.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I gotta tell you, I had no idea what this book was about. And the title didn't grab me in the least. BUT, your review really set me straight! NOW, I'm going to have to read it, because I was laughing out loud at just the few quotes you quoted! Great review! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! yay Suzanne, u'll love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha! The title was the first thing to grab my attention. The favorite quotes were hilarious! That guy { the dad } would be someone I hung around with just to see what would pop out of his mouth. lol.

    ReplyDelete