Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Earlier this month I was upset that I hadn't had time or money to go get the new Charlaine Harris book yet, but while looking at twitter I'd seen the following tweet from Jeaniene Frost:

OMG I think I just fainted! Charlaine Harris on what fictional character she would most like to marry: http://bit.ly/biRbz4 10:01 PM May 4th via web


What fictional character would you most like to marry?
Ha! Hmmm. Mr. Rochester? Darcy? Nope. Oh, I know! Bones, from Jeaniene Frost’s books.

Right there I decided that book 1 of the Night Huntress series was my next book to read. What's funny is I had already checked out Halfway to the Grave from my library but I just hadn't cracked it open yet. 

 
 
published: November 1st 2007 by Avon 
details: Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
isbn: 0061245089    (isbn13: 9780061245084)
















Cat is 22, a vampire/human hybrid, and out to stake as many of the undead as she can in an attempt to get lucky and kill the vampire that attacked her mother and fathered her. All her life she's been an outcast in a small town and Cat uses her vengeance to try and make up for her very existence. She carries the burden of self-hate and doesn't even realize it until one night she bumps into a vampire stronger than any other she's met before named Bones. He is one scary-ass dude but he's also someone who challenges Cat's narrow worldview. His behavior is contradictory to everything her mother has ever told her about vampires and it forces her to reevaluate everything she thinks she knows, including love.  

I've only read book 1 in the Night Huntress series so far, so I'm sure there's a lot more I'm missing but so far so good! Already Bones has me smitten with his lovely British accent and charisma. Plus, who could resist a man who loves that deeply?! 

"I can't just let us go our separate ways, Kitten, because I am in love with you. I love you."
"If you run from me, I'll chase you. And I'll find you..."
~Bones, Halfway to the Grave

Though this isn't the first time I read a book because it's been mentioned by an author I love,  it's the first time I actually was able to read it so quickly because the book was already in my house :P
When Stephanie Meyer mentioned The Hunger Games a couple years ago I picked it up and was glad I did! Team Gale!! I also have gotten a number of books based on Melissa Marr's tweets too; she always has some interesting book mentions.
Anybody else pick up books based on what authors you like suggest, or because you see their blurbs on other books?

1 comment:

  1. Nope but if Charlaine loves this character (and I love her characters) then I am going to check them out sooner! I have them all bought :)

    ReplyDelete