Monday, May 17, 2010

Review: Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris


 
Sookie Stackhouse has finally settled into a relationship with the Viking vampire Eric, and her errant brother Jason seems to have his life in order, too. But all the other people in Sookie’s life – Eric himself, her former lover Bill, her friend and boss Sam – are having family problems. Eric’s maker shows up with Eric’s ‘brother’ in tow, the ailing Bill can only be healed by a blood sibling, and Sam’s brother’s marriage is about to take place... or will it? The furor raised by the coming out of the two-natured has yet to settle; some people are just not ready to sit down to dinner with a man who turns into a dog. And Sookie herself is still recovering from her last ordeal. She’s definitely improving, physically and mentally, but she’s always going to have some dark moments now. The werewolves tell her that there have been strange and ominous passers-by in the Stackhouse woods; now Sookie is about to come face-to-face with one of her more distant relatives... 
summary via goodreads.com


published: May 4th 2010 by Ace Hardcover (first published 2010)

details: Hardcover, 311 pages
isbn: 0441018645  (isbn13: 9780441018642)


Charlaine Harris is without a doubt one of my favorite writers. She can draw me into a story like no one else, and I always feel like I'm living through her books rather than just reading them. This book was no exception for me. It picks right up after the events of book 9, Dead and Gone, and Sookie is dealing with all her physical and emotional trauma scars from when she was tortured in the Fae War. She's also still reeling from the deaths of Tray and Claudine, and is a changed person because of all she's been through. Even Bill is despondent and not recovering from the injuries he sustained from fighting the fae. Though Sookie's life is in recovery mode, I was happy as a reader to see a lot more of Eric :)
I loved seeing Sookie and Eric discuss their relationship, and being able to see who Eric really is as a partner and lover.  All the drama of the Sookie Stackhouse world we've come to know and love is there and the book ends on a "positively Shakespearean" note, as Sookie herself perfectly puts it. 

4 comments:

  1. Great Review! I really enjoyed this book too and the main reason was more Eric and Pam. Pam really cracked me up in this book and I love her friendship with Sookie. The end was Positively Shakespearean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to see Charlaine Harris in SF! She was really sweet!

    Team Eric!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Felicia - Pam is hilarious! I laughed out loud all by myself when Sookie's called her on the phone to tell her about Eric's maker and her response is, "fuck a zombie!" hahaha

    @Leilani - cool! I can't wait to get a chance to meet her one day too. yay Eric! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this book this week! I personally felt Dead and Gone was better than this one, if only because I felt it moved the overall story forward more. This one could be summed up as a recovery - Sookie is recovering, Claude is recovering, Jason is recovering, Bill is recovering. I guess it is the respite before the issues with Victor heat up even more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete