Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Review -Twilight: The Graphic Novel, volume 1

 

 As a fan of the Twilight books, I was both excited and anxious when I heard a graphic novel interpretation was being made. Excited because I love graphic novels. Anxious because I don't like manga. I've had tons of friends suggest manga they thought I'd love or that they said was just so good I had to read it but in the end the verdict was the same: manga is not for me. I have nothing against it, I just personally don't really care for it. A lot of times it looks messy & cluttered. That being said, I can still appreciate some good manga artwork. One of my favorites is  Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei (さよなら 絶望先生) which satirizes all aspects of daily life in Japan.

So when I picked up the Twilight graphic Novel I went into it with as open a mind as possible.
The artwork is just okay. Bella is glammed up, manga style and though that was something I was expecting, it still didn't fit for me. Another issue I had was that many of the characters (the males in particular) were graphically indistinguishable from one another. Edward's face looked like Jasper's and Carlisle's in many of the panels, and facial expressions were not great either. Bella also almost always has this sweat drop flying off her face and annoyed the hell outta me. I'm fully aware that the use of the flying sweat/tear drop in manga is standard to show anxiety, fear, and whatnot but these just looked funky to me. It was definitely overdone in an effort to show Bella's famous anxieties but it didn't work for me. The panel below was one where I thought she and Edward were drawn particularly well. 
(aka no wierd sweat drops flying off their faces, and fairly proportionate bodies)

Some other things I really liked were that it's a hardcover, and it has quality paper (glossy) inside, as well as color accents to important scenes. The meadow scene was nice and it's where it ends for volume 1. It's an adaptation so the storyline leaves a lot of the intricacies out but overall it was still interesting to see/read. I would not recommend getting it if you haven't read the books, unless you plan on never reading the books.

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 224 pages
  • Publisher: Yen Press; Original edition (March 16, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0759529434
  • ISBN-13: 978-0759529434


 

1 comment:

  1. Haven't gotten into graphic novels much, but Twilight looks like one I will like. The art work is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete